Saturday, October 25, 2014

The 60s

I am a true baby boomer, born in the 1950s.  My middle to late childhood was in the 1960s and that is the touchstone of my childhood memories.  Now that mid-century modern is a thing and the houses I lived in that were brand spanking new in my childhood are old, I have sometimes reflected on the 60s.  I won't do an exhaustive study here, just a few reflections from a mid-century modern gal.

We lived in a hip roofed ranch house through most of the 1960s.  We moved on up to the suburbs from a small rural village when I started kindergarten.  I was in fifth grade when Kennedy was assassinated.   People tend to romanticize the past ages.  I remember that we never had air conditioning in our homes and the whole neighborhood would be outside and the adults would talk and the kids would ride tricycles up and down the sidewalk.  Our television was black and white until after I went to college.  I remember my dad remarking that even ads and boring shows drew your attention when they were in color.

We got all the childhood diseases--chicken pox, measles, mumps.  I had a friend who got leukemia and died, because that was what you did back then, there was not cure and very little in the way of treatments.  I took a polio vaccine on a sugar cube.  That was a good thing, because I had an uncle who had polio.  The doctor sometimes made house calls and when there was an emergency we sometimes drove to his office and not to the hospital.

Almost every family had at least 3 or 4 kids.  An only child was a rare peculiarity and to be pitied.  We lived in small houses.  Usually 3 bedrooms--a boys room, a girls room and a parent's room and usually, if you played inside, it was in your room or in the basement.  In the summer you played outside.  Lunch was usually soup and sandwiches and dinner which we called supper was something cooked that contained a meat, a vegetable and a starch and dessert.  My mom was big on desserts and she served them for lunch and sometimes for breakfast (at least that is what I called it when I finished off with a donut after the cereal).

Anyway, that is enough for now.  If I go on longer, it will become a boring post for Saturday!

1 comment:

Dawn Farias said...

I love this post. I think I've said this before, but it bears repeating: I love when you share these memories.