Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Five Favorites, Again!

The "Call Her Happy" blog author sent me an email inviting me to join into the 5 favorites that she is hosting.  When the favorites started moving to different hosts, I lost the 5 favorite interest.  It is hard to come up with 5 favorites every week.  Lots of things I am indifferent about or so-so about, and not "5 favorite" about.  But, I have decided to give it a whirl again this week.

5 Favorite Fall Foods.

In my house the oven is banned during the hot season which lasts from April to October around here.  So once a good space of fall weather hits I bake up a storm.  Hence, many of the favorite fall foods are oven dishes.

1. Apple Crisp.
I peel and slice up the apples.  Taste for sweetness.  If they are sour, add sugar.  If they are pretty sweet, sprinkle a little sugar.  Dash with some cinnamon and a little bit of salt.  Then melt some butter into some oatmeal.  Add a little sugar and dash in some cinnamon and salt.  If I want to be fancy, splash in some vanilla.  Before I put the oatmeal on top, I run the microwave about 4 or 5 minutes with the apples.  Then top with the oatmeal mix and bake for about 20 minutes in the oven.  (Can you tell I make it up as I go along?)


2. Meat Loaf 
I usually make "mini meatloaves."  They are one serving sized. I use a Weight Watchers recipe and modify it. 

3. Lasagna
I make up my own recipe for this as well. But, it is pretty basic, no secret ingredients.


4. Soups (not baked, but cool weather food)
I do this. Or this.  Or this.

5. Italian Baked Chicken
Bake chicken in Italian salad dressing for about an hour.  Whatever chicken you like--whole, skinless breasts, wings,  your choice.

1 comment:

Mary N. said...

I ban the oven during the summer too, Mary. We mostly grill when the weather is hot unless there is an occasional cool evening. Our grill has burners on the side so I make the side dishes out there as well.
Apple crisp is a favorite Fall desert here!