Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys

"Not my circus, not my monkeys" is reputed on the internet to be a Polish proverb and I know of nothing that would refute that.  The context in which I heard it has to do with being pulled into other people's drama.  I am not a drama queen.  I have not so much drama (if you don't count the day I thought I had a bird in my library).  But, sometimes I can get pulled into other people's drama.

When there is an injustice or aching problem I feel for the person who is suffering.  I can get sucked into trying to solve the problem or at least praying fervent prayers for the solution.  There is nothing wrong with helping others or praying for them, but losing sleep and worrying about someone else is probably not healthy.

So, without becoming callous or mean, I hope that I can remember--Not my circus, not my monkeys.  It seems like a very healthy attitude to carrying forth. (Although now I start to wonder--where is my circus and my monkeys? Maybe I should look for them?)

No comments: