Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Tuesday Treasures--Great Aunt Emma's Quilt (Revisited from 2009)

This is a quilt made by my Great Aunt Emma.  The material was old dresses and flour sacks.  I used to use it as my son's bedspread and I patched the patches many times.  My Aunt Emma was not a quality, for show quilter, it is not a perfect quilt.  I am sure that it is over 50 years old though, so it would be an antique.  I hung it over the basement stairs.  It fills up a big space that otherwise would be blank.  I can see Aunt Emma's coal black eyes and very black hair when I look at the quilt.  She lived with my family for two years when my sister was little and my mom went back to work.  Aunt Emma never married but she helped raise a bunch of kids and loved her dogs and cats and African violets.  I think her hands were always busy working on something--crochet, quilting, embroidery.  There are not people like that in this world anymore, people who have time for talking to you while they work their piecework.
 
Since we sold this house to our son, he got his old bedspread back because I left Aunt Emma's quilt there for him.

3 comments:

Dawn Farias said...

Well, I can't say I ever knew anybody like that. I'm not like that...

Mary said...

I wonder if Aunt Emma would have been a blogger?

Tami said...

What a nice memory, and what a great lady. I agree, society doesn't value people who love to serve their families. Today she would be seen as a failure to get out and thrive on her own accord. Very sad indeed when we consider how much help families need to raise their children well.