Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Five Favorites, Baby Quilt Patterns

Hallie Lord hosts this meme at Moxie Wife.  Go and read some interesting favorites.
 
I make baby quilts.  It is my hobby.  I like picking out fabric and basting and sewing and quilting all the pieces together.  God has never failed to provide babies to give the quilts to.  At least not yet.  Somehow there is always a baby or two just when I am finishing up a quilt.  Although lately I have been interested in making a lot of "girl" quilts and there have been more boys.  I have branch out and tried a few other things involving triangles lately, but mostly I make quilts with little squares the size of sticky notes.
 
Here are some of my favorites.
 
1. This pattern is called Around the World.  This one works really well for baby quilts because the size can be as big as I want it.  Thirteen squares is my favorite size these days.
This one below is an alternate version of Around the World.  I really wanted to make a pink and blue quilt for the old fashion-edness of it.  Once upon a time nobody knew if they were having a boy or girl.  Quilts could be "neutral" yellow or green or combined pink and blue.
 
The cat quilt was intended for one of my son's friends.  But, when he told me they hated his cat, I decided to give it to somebody else and make a green one for those cat hating people.
 
2. This pattern is some form of nine patch with a border.  I made this one for my high-school student who is having a baby.  I am sending it to her through a friend.  If the friend can't give it to her, it will come back to me before the end of the school year.  I hope not to get it back.
 
Below is another version of the nine patch with the border.  It is one of my favorites.
 
See how different color fabric changes the look of it?
 
 
3. This was one of the early quilts I made some years ago.  It really didn't have a pattern.  I liked the blue daisy fabric and have used it for a lot of different quilts.
 
3. This one I made from a pattern.  It is gigantic compared to most of the ones I made today.  It was for my God-daughter/ niece Hannah who is now finishing up third grade.

4. This pattern is one I don't know the name for.  I call it X!  This was an early quilt and was a lot smaller than the ones I make these days.
 

This is another version of the X!


5. Then there are the experiments.  I am not sure whether they are my favorites, but trying something different is a favorite idea of mine.
 
This watermelon themed quilt still isn't finished.  It sits in the quilt container waiting for the last stitches.

 I am trying this chevron pattern below.  When I get it put together, it will be easier to see.

This is sideways stripes.  There is a name for this, but I can't remember what it is.

 
 
 

No comments: