Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Tuesday Treasures--Highchair



My mom is 88 years old. This was her highchair. She painted it brown. You just can't let her near a paintbrush. I rescued it in May. Someday, perhaps I will have a grandchild to set in this chair like my son sat at grandma's house. I remember that my grandmother brought it to my mom when Moose was expected because she said that Mom would need it for her grandbabies. Now it waits for mine.

***Updated**** (This is a Tuesday Treasure from a while back.)
And today my mom is 92.  The high chair is still brown, although I think of painting it white.  It is still in my basement.  I have no grandbabies, but I hope for someday.

6 comments:

pearlsoftruth said...

Moose needs to hurry up because you are so, so ready for a grandbaby, lol...

Mary said...

It is all my fault, actually. When he was very little I told him that he couldn't get married until he was 36 (I think I was younger than 36 when I told him that). So now he is 29 and I guess I have to wait 6 more years until he is married. But, if he listened to that so well, why didn't he eat his peas and get better grades in school?

Dawn Farias said...

Wow.

Tami said...

What a neat tradition for your family. My mother-in-law has the highchair from when my husband was a babe, only the plastic from the late 60's isn't nearly as heirloom quality as your chair. Maybe you could tackle a restoration project. Then by the time Moose has grandbabies for you, you'll have a beautiful chair to sit them in.

Mary said...

It used to be a dark hickory wood with a leather strap to buckle the kid in, but Mom took that off and for some reason painted it brown. I am not sure exactly why. If I had time for projects, I might start that one, but I barely keep my head above water as it is. Maybe if there was a girlfriend or something to give me hope.... but alas, my son is happily single so far.

Tami said...

Hey, you are on to something. Maybe that could be a mother-in-law/daughter-in-law bonding experience someday.