Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Tuesday Treasures--First Communion



In a pile of rubbish in my mom's garage the day before the junk man hauled things away I found this treasure. It is my grandma's First Holy Communion certificate. They don't do such things these days. They didn't even do them in my day. It is a lovely framed picture with her name and the date and signed by the priest who performed this sacrament. I had never seen it before. I am not sure what to do with it. But until I decide, I will treasure it with the many rescued objects in my basement.

I cleaned it up.  My spiritual director suggested hanging it in my sewing room.  I remember when my grandma was in the nursing home shortly before she died she told me that she saw a nun there and knew that she had received First Holy Communion with her at the same time.  I don't live anywhere near the city where I received First Holy Communion, but even if I did, I doubt that I would recognize and remember the girls in my class today, let alone when I am 83.

(This is re-posted Tuesday Treasure from 6/30/09 and most of you will not have seen it, so I am sharing it again.)

5 comments:

Dandelionmom said...

I would love an afternoon in your basement! My Grandma has her parents marriage certificate that is very like this -even the documents showed that everyone took such things more seriously then!

Dandelionmom said...

YEAH BABY! my comment made the cut! whooo hooo!

Mary said...

Dandelionmom--You always make the cut with me, even if my blog rejects you. It rejects me too. Do you think it is mad about hosting Boring Posts for Saturday?
My basement has treasures. But you don't need to come here. I will eventually post them all on the blog. But if you are in the neighborhood, stop by.

Dawn said...

Amazing, amazing, amazing.

abroadermark said...

Oooh...what a cool find, Mary! Did you know you can buy first holy communion certificates sort of like that one from Trademark Stationery? Tess got a real nice certificate from Father when she made her first holy communion two years ago, but it's nowhere near as pretty as the one that belonged to your grandma.