Friday, January 3, 2014
7 Quick Takes
1. Our Christmas get together was Sunday. One of the topics that came up was the Dialect Test. You can take it interactively on the NY Times site. I am either from Modesto, CA or Madison, WI. My brother who really sis grow up in Rockford, IL came up with Rockford, IL. I came up with the two places because I took the test again, since the first test skipped some questions.
2. We tried to go to Sprouts in Quincy along with the rest of the population and ended up at the Pier. The channel of the Mississippi beneath the Pier was frozen which was interesting. I haven't seen the river frozen in a long time. The main channel of the river was still open.
3. New Year's Eve at my house consists of shrimp cocktails, When Harry Met Sally on DVD, and sparkling grape juice. I made steaks this year to be fancy. We were in bed but awake at midnight when the neighbors shot off fireworks. (I wish they were illegal, oh, wait, they are.)
4. New Year's day we went to church and largely put away Christmas. The octave of Christmas is about as long as I can stand to have the decorations up. I know that true Catholics wait until Epiphany, but I kept the manger scene up so that the wise men can finally get there.
5. I have achieved my reading or blogging goals during this vacation. I have an excuse. I have been putting together a 2000 piece puzzle of the Sistine Chapel. It has been harder than I thought. I don't know what I thought, but harder than that.
6. It snowed Wednesday night. I was glad that I didn't have to go back to school until Friday (today).
7. The only resolution that I am making this year is to lose weight. If I can do that everything else will fall into place.