Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Alabama Trip Part Whatever, All Saints Edition

I am such a stylish and well planned blogger I managed to hold off the place we visited until All Saints Day and it is sooooo appropriate for this day.  With part of the day on Saturday before we headed for home, we drove down to Hanceville, AL.  Hanceville is a small town south of Cullman.

Out there in the middle of no where, Mother Angelica built a Shrine.  The Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament is out there in the midst of nothing else.  It is a big church and shrines and huge gift shop.  We decided to go down there to pray for hubby's mom.
The grounds were massive with an intentional medieval feel. The gift shop, directly across the way from the church looked like a castle with suits of armor.

Mother Angelica was called to build this when she was in South America and a statue of the Child Jesus spoke to her and asked for a shrine.  I could quibble about this except that Mother was able to raise the money and have the place finished in 5 years.  Divine intervention would be the most plausible explanation.

The place was nearly deserted when we were there.  It was set up to handle a crowd.

The entrance to the church was quite grand.  The inside was beyond lovely and expensive, but Mother Angelica has forbidden photos within and I didn't want my camera taken away. So I have no evidence of that.

I was glad that I saw it.  I am not sure that I am ready for the Communion rail again.  We decided to get moving toward home rather than stay for the noon Mass that was offered.  We had miles to go before we slept.

But, of all the places that I have been in the past year, I thought this Shrine was the place for All Saints, because when the Saints Go Marching In....I bet it will be even grander than this place.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Beautiful church!!! I am a new follower from Catholic Mothers Online. :o)

Feel free to stop by anytime!

Jamie
For Love of Cupcakes

Tami said...

I cannot believe we didn't even know about his when we lived in AL! I guess we have to go back.