Monday, October 24, 2011

Eating on the Road to Alabama

When we went to Alabama a couple of weeks ago we ate at a variety of places on the road.  I thought I would rate these places so, if you are on the road, you might be forewarned.
We ate lunch on Friday at a free standing Chick-Fil-A in Paducah, Kentucky. Paducah has every restaurant you can possibly think of, so Chick-Fil-A, at the end of the street can consider itself honored that we chose it.  And it was good.  They even refilled my tea. As in came to my table and brought me more tea.  For fast food, that is pretty good! Those of you who know me, know that I require tea to drive in the afternoon.  I give this restaurant a B plus.  The lines were disorganized for ordering and the restroom was small and smelly.  But everything else met or exceeded my expectations.

We had both dinner Friday and breakfast the next morning at this Cracker Barrel in Alabama.  It was recommended by the welcome station lady.  She didn't steer us wrong. At least not about the restaurant.  I give it an A for clean rest rooms and friendly, courteous staff who were quick with the refills, but not joining our conversation. (Which sometimes happens at Cracker Barrel)  And my husband says the decor is reproductions.  Surely not?  I loved the spinning wheel.

I didn't take a picture of the Country Hearth Inn where we stayed that the welcome lady recommended.  The gray-white towels and dirty bathroom in our room didn't make my recommended list.  But, it was quiet and relatively cheap.  But there was no elevator to the second floor where we stayed and there was a smell to the place and the breakfast set up was not convenient or delicious. Hence our trip to Cracker Barrel again in the morning.

We tried to go to McDs in Tennessee for lunch, but when we got off the road and followed the signs we found that we were back in Alabama for lunch.  The tea was good and lasted me until Kentucky.  I give this place a C minus.  It had the dirtiest restrooms I encountered on the trip. I still shudder to think of them. But the tea was good and that was why I came. For me it seems to be all about the tea. (Unsweetened, no lemon, if you must know.)

And dinner Saturday evening was at McAllisters in Paducah, Kentucky.  We were looking for the Panera, but there were too many restaurants.  After we parked we saw Panera across the street, but we just stayed where we were.  The restrooms were clean, the country potato soup was delicious.  I give McAllisters an A.  It was too late to do tea, but McAllisters generally have excellent tea.

And this is my blog and if I want to remember where we ate on the road, I shall. Considering everything that has taken place since that time, this seems like a silly post.  but, sometimes life is lived in the small unimportant moments as much as in the big ceremonies and occasions, don't you think?

1 comment:

Tami said...

Ahhh, Chic-Fil-A. Before living in the south I did not truly appreciate this gem. My favorite is the grilled chicken sandwhich, with the yummy campfire sauce they hide under the counter. It used to be out in the open (the sauce- that is), but the last few times I visited, I had to ask. They scrouged some up from under the counter for me. Oh, I hope that doesn't mean they no longer have THE sauce. The sandwhich just wouldn't be the same without it.
After several cross country trips, I can appreciate trying to find yummy food, and clean bathrooms on your journey. :)