Monday, August 15, 2011

DC Trip, Fourth Installment

By the time I finish showing the DC trip I expect to have zero readership.  Oh, well, it's my blog and I will bore if I want to.....

This is the fourth installment of my trip, the second part of the last Wednesday in July.  It was a very long hot day. But, fun, very fun.

So, by way of review... After climbing over hill and dale at Arlington National Cemetery and watching the Changing of the Guard, my sis and I caught the bus to Mount Vernon.  Mount Vernon was the home of General, President, Farmer George Washington.  He got it from his wife.  The tour bus driver told us where the farms started and, oh boy, did Mr. Washington own a spread.

On the way to Mount Vernon the bus went through Old Alexandria.  It looked like an interesting place.  The guide pointed out places, but it was hard to take pictures from a moving bus.  And hard to really listen and comprehend all the details.
This is a flounder house.  It is sideways (like the fish).  It is really really old, but I don't remember exactly how old.  I doubt there were cars when it was built......

This was a half house.  It is really, really narrow......
Along the way we looked out at Fort Washington which was across the Potomac River.

I  am thankful for the lens on my camera, because I can see it better in the picture than when I was looking at it from the bus....
And here I am in front of George Washington's house, Mount Vernon.  They say that the Washington's welcomed anyone who knocked at their door in for a meal and invited them to stay a night or two or twelve..... (I myself doubted that this included runaway slaves, or poor people...but you never know....)
And as you observe, Mount Vernon was undergoing restoration.....

The main house is to the right and behind the tree is the kitchen.  The slaves cooked in the kitchen and it wasn't attached to the house for that reason and also because cooking was hot smelly work and the Washington's would not want to be heated by the cooking or smellt he cooking smells.

This was the back of the house, overlooking the Potomac.  If you arrived by ship, this would be Mount Vernon to you.

The restoration involved making the house look the way George Washington had it.  It was a wood house, made to look like stone.  The wood was carved and then treated with sand.
Here is the main house.  Notice the third floor?  Taxes were paid by the numbers of floors and this counts as a two story house.  Martha lived upstairs on the third floor after George died.
This ths the view from the house of the Potomac.  The river was down hill a long way.  No danger of floods or high tides for the Washingtons.

This included the outbuildings and some of the house slave quarters. These are beside the main house.
These were the slave quarters.

This was the kitchen in the slave quarters.

This concludes my view of the buildings of Mount Vernon.  I am getting too long, even for me.  It was a long hot day and I need a glass of iced tea and a sit down just thinking about it.





2 comments:

Tami said...

Thank you for the walk down memory lane. We had so much fun spending at Mount Vernon when we lived there. Did they have the people dressed in period costume?

Dawn Farias said...

Fascinating.