Monday, July 5, 2010

Monday Memories--Patriot

Don't you love a man in uniform?  This was the day my hubby retired after 20 years in the Navy. That day came and went some time ago. We called that uniform the crackerjack for obvious reasons.  He only fired a gun one time at a shooting range during that 20 years.  He was only on a Navy ship once--the Missouri was open for tours in Hawaii and Moose and I were with him.  But we lived away from home for a big chunk of our lives. That in itself is service.  He was a peace time warrior, but there just in case. He did duty at land bases in Japan and Hawaii and went to Australia and served in Florida and Illinois and St Louis. These days he isn't serving.  I don't brag about his service and neither does he.  It was just something he was called to do.  And now he is done.  But I suppose that more than most people I understand the wives of those military men who wait at home and pack out everything every few years and look for new jobs and new best friends and don't do windows.  That may not win ribbons or stripes on the sleeves but it is service too.

6 comments:

DandelionMom said...

Thank you both for your service!

Dawn by Design said...

Yes, it certainly is. And thank you both for that.

Mary said...

I thought I would do the patriot thing for the weekend. That was a proud day for us, when he retired.

Anne said...

What a great picture! My godson is in the Marines, stationed in California but we are all holding our breath for when the day arrives and he will leave for Afghanistan.

So, yes! I love a man in uniform! I have his picture proudly displayed on my desk at work as a reminder to pray for him each day!

Tami said...

Yes indeed, being the wife behind the scenes is worthy of a nod.

I can relate to the "don't do windows" statement. That and spring cleaning aren't in my arsenol. I just move.

Mary said...

Me too, not often enough sometimes.