Thursday, June 10, 2010

Staycation--Missouri History Museum

I don't know if I will get out of town at all this year.  I am still working on Oklahoma, but until I do, it is StayCation St Louis style.

Sunday was a perfect day.  It was Corpus Christi which seemed like a good day to take a trip to the Missouri History Museum in Forest Park.  The History Museum was hosting Vatican Splendors.
I always think that the fascade of this building looks like an old high school.

A little known fact is that the main turnstyles for the 1904 St Louis World's Fair were exactly placed where those doors that enter the museum are.  They did that on purpose when they built this museum after the fair.
The Spirit of St Louis, the plane flown by Charles Lindbergh flies near the ceiling. The Museum itself is free, but the Vatican exhibit was $19.  In it we saw relics of St Peter and St Paul, busts of popes, paintings, mosaics, the plans of St Peter's (did I ever tell you that I was really there?), a bronze of John Paul II hand which we could touch, and other things.  But I couldn't take pictures so you will have to imagine.
Coming out of the Museum is this fountain which represents all the water in the area--Mississippi and Missouri Rivers join here.
On the outside there was a trolley display.  Never pass up a trolley display I say.  We also toured the World's Fair exhibit inside the Museum.  I used to teach a World's Fair unit so it was interesting.

Overall, though, I wouldn't recommend the History Museum to young children.  Most of the exhibits were not geared to hold the interest of young children.

Thus ends the first of my staycation's St Louis style.

3 comments:

Tami said...

Thanks for the tour Mary. Bummer that you couldn't take pictures. Here's a goofy question: Did it feel holy? We once visited the relics of Saint John Neuman in Philly. Now his relics were under the altar, so maybe that was it. . .BUT, it just felt like such a holy experience.

I love the Cliffy facts about the history of the building, and the signifigance of the fountain. I'm a museum nerd, so this was right up my alley.

abroadermark said...

Oooo, oooo...I've been to that museum! I've also seen the Vatican exhibit - in Houston. I thought it was really, really cool. But I think I've already told you that, haven't I? Looking forward to the next staycation post!

Tami said...

You get around girl. I am so sad to say, I lived just across the river from that museum when The General was a babe, and we never made it there. Probably for the not so kid friendly reason Mary warned about. My little boys are rather energetic. :) I wouldn't order them any other way though.