Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Hope Echoes--Wisdom

On Wednesday I will attempt to share matters of faith.  I am continuing to discuss the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

The first gift I will consider is wisdom. Wisdom is one of the most important gifts of the Holy Spirit (listed in Isaiah 11:1-2).  Wisdom is a depth of insight that enables us to hear and see God's purpose or God's call within our everyday life.  It is through wisdom that we can discern the vocational call for our lives.  With wisdom we can seek God's will and God's way to remain faithful to God as we live out our lives in this world.

Wisdom helps us to see God everywhere.  Through the gift of wisdom we can recognize the holy within the ordinary.  We have common sense through wisdom.  We seek God through Scripture from the thirst that wisdom brings us.  We can maintain balance in our lives through wisdom, being in the world, but not of the world.  That balance helps us to be effective witnesses of God's love.

In my own life I recognize that wisdom requires practice, requires study and thought and doesn't just pop into my head.  Often a situation arises where God's will is not obvious.  That is where wisdom comes into importance. One example for me is that I sometimes think of something to blog about and it seems like a perfectly good idea and I go ahead and write the post.  But, wisdom often tells me to delay posting.  That way, I sometimes have a change of course and decide not to post the thing I first thought of, or to tone it down.  Wisdom doesn't always happen before I post something that I later regret, but sometimes I call often that gift of wisdom and really think about what I am saying.  And not say it, if I really shouldn't.

There is a whole book of the Bible and many other things that could be said about wisdom, but this is enough for me.  I am not a theologian and if you want more depth there are plenty of other sources.  Speaking of sources I used The Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit by Mitch Finley as a source for ideas.

4 comments:

Dawn by Design said...

In my own life I recognize that wisdom requires practice, requires study and thought and doesn't just pop into my head.

Good point.

DandelionMom said...

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Fools despise wisdom and instruction.

thx 4 the reminders-we should put this in our face more often I think.

Mary said...

And practice what I preach...lol, but truth is I am preaching to myself and if the rest of you get something out of it too, then it is all good.

Amanda said...

Wisdom is one of the first things I pray for, daily. Wisdom and discernment...