Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Catholic Woman's Book of Days by Amy Wellborn, June 17th

A book that I really enjoy is A Catholic Woman's Book of Days by Amy Wellborn.  Each day has a scripture quote, a little story illustrating a point related to thoughts on the scripture quote and a prayer.  It is a little devotional book that takes only a minute or two.  When I read today's entry it spoke to me and I hope that Ms Wellborn will allow me to quote her here.  Maybe somebody will want to get this book also.

June 17

"To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice. Proverbs 21:3

When she was about five, my daughter was caught in the act of scribbling on the bathroom mirror with lipstick, much to her dismay and her brother's delight (in catching her).
 
After being found out, Kate began to wail in her own defense, "But I did it for God!" What she had written on the mirror was "I love God." So that made it okay!

Using God as our defense when we've done something wrong.  It's not unheard of, no matter how old you are.

Heavenly Father, purify my motives and my actions."  from page 183. 

7 comments:

Jen said...

Hi Mary,

Love the quote. Thanks for sharing. I am almost done with Amy Wellborn's book "Words We Pray" about traditional Catholic prayers. It's just the right size for my before-bed reading... one little nugget at a time (the chapters are short but filled with wonderful information).

Peace.

abroadermark said...

Soooo...it's not okay to rob a bank as long as you give 10% of the loot to the Church? :O

Mary said...

Jen, I will have to look for that book.

ABM, you would have to check with your priest on that one. I am sure that the church would want way more than a 10% cut. lol

abroadermark said...

I asked Father, and he said for 50% and he'd absolve me AND keep his mouth shut. Hardy har har!!

Mary said...

I was thinking 50% was about standard around here, but I didn't want to brag in case they want more down your way. No way would it be less. (And I'm kidding, I'm kidding.)

No way can you rob banks for God. But you can have fund raisers and rob parents. It is the direct approach.

Mary said...

And I have a disclaimer here. I am probably still on too many pain killers to be blogging. I didn't really say what I said. I only thought about it a little.

abroadermark said...

I can't believe you just publicly admitted to blogging under the influence! :O