Thursday, May 27, 2010

Ordinary Time

It is ordinary time again.  Time for the green.  I look at my yard and it reflects the season, ordinary time.  Today is my first day of summer vacation.  I have plans, but they are mine, not the plans of the work-a-day world.  I will have to go back to work a few days this summer.  I have a few loose ends.  But, I will do it on my own schedule, on ordinary time.

Ordinary time seems short in comparison to the Lent/ Easter/ Advent seasons that we have been through.  Ordinary time calls us to extraordinary graces.  To use those things we learned, to employ those gifts we have received.  We need the practice of ordinary time.

Today I rejoice in the ordinary time I have been given to practice the graces, the charisms, the gifts I have received from the endless bounty of the Lord.  Ordinary time again.  Green.  Time to grow.  Ordinary time.

3 comments:

Tami said...

What?! I have to grow? I thought I was supposed to do that during Lent. . . Oh, I'm supposed to practice all those things now. Mary, Mary, Mary. . .you run a tight ship. One I need to stay on board with. ;) In the short run, it would be so much easier to just let it all go. . .or maybe not?

Mary said...

We planted the seeds in Lent, now the sunshine helps us to grow!!! If we did Lent right, then ordinary time is easy. (And there is a little rain once in a while to help us grow too.)

Tami said...

Okay, that is the problem. No sun in WA. My poor seeds are still freezing under ground, just waiting for germination.
What I find funny about this metaphor is this: I have been whining A LOT about no sunshine. What I really need to do is look for the SONshine. That is the thing that will warm me to the core, and I will blossom. Thanks for the brain food Mary.