Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hope Echoes--Charismatic Prayer, Part III

This is a retelling of a presentation I made for some people at my church one Sunday morning in April.  I am retelling this in parts on Wednesdays.  Part I is here.  Part II is here.  So on to part III.

All we who call ourselves Christian and follow Christ have received the gift of the Holy Spirit at our Baptisms.  Have you been to a Baptism lately? I am the Godmother of my five year old niece, Hannah.  When Hannah was Baptized, although still a baby, she received the Holy Spirit, just as you and I did at our Baptisms.  The Holy Spirit is a gift we receive at Baptism along with the removal of original sin.  I have a friend who likens the gift of the Holy Spirit at Baptism to metaphoically receiving a gift in a beautiful box that we put up on a shelf in the closet because most of us are babies when we are Baptised and we aren't yet ready to open that gift.  It isn't until later in our lives that we are ready to take down that gift box, open it up and see the gift of the Holy Spirit that are meant for us.

Whether we were Baptised as babies or perhaps received Baptism at an older age, at some point in our lives we need to open up those gifts of the Holy Spirit that were given to us.  We need to let the Spirit within us awaken.  For me, the awakening, the opening of the box, came at Confirmation.  I cannot speak for the Confirmations of others, but perhaps because of the timing of my Confirmation which was near the conclusion the the Second Vatican Council, my preparation was all about the Holy Spirit.  When I was Confirmed I had an expectant faith that the Holy Spirit would come to effect a change in me.  I expected to be stirred in the Holy Spirit.

A few years later, I found myself in a circumstance whereby I desired a new way to pray.  I had prayed all the prayers in my little Catholic prayer book.  I said all the words on my own that I could think of, but I wasn't satisfied.  I asked God for a new way, a better way to pray and I received a prayer language.  I prayed that way and felt peaceful and calm in in the presence of God.  I knew that it was what is described as "tongues" in the Bible.  I felt a deep sense of joy and love for God when I prayed this way.  I didn't cease prayer in other ways.  Alone in my room at night I would pray in tongues. I kept my prayer language private.

Thus end part three of charismatic prayer.  Tune in next week for the continuation of this series.

9 comments:

abroadermark said...

Thanks for this, Mary. It's very interesting to me. I'd love to hear you speak on the topic. Maybe you can give me my own personal presentation when you come to OK. You are still coming to see me this summer, aren't you?

Mary said...

I'm still planning on OK. Tune up that voice because I want more than 44 words in that solo.

Dawn Farias said...

Interesting, Mary. Eagerly waiting for more...

Tami said...

Talk about leaving us hanging. . .
I can't wait to hear "the rest of the story" and then I'll ask my questions. Thank you so much for sharing this with us Mary. To open your private life to help others is truly a gift.

Mary said...

My witness. It is my witness. The grace that God has permitted me to experience is surely not for me alone. I must proclaim His greatness to all the earth. (Or at least all over my little bloggy world.)

Dawn Farias said...

You're a great inspiration, Mary!

Mary said...

I'm on the same journey we all are. Led into temptation and all that. Don't kid yourself. But I am old. I didn't know as much when I was your age. LOL

Amanda said...

Mary, I enjoyed reading this part, which included a part of your personal testimony.

Whilst I am not Catholic, I was baptised in the Anglican (Church of England) as a baby, followed by Confirmation at 13 years old.

I hope you won't be offended with me when I say I don't subscribe to the denomination of my upbringing anymore.

When I was born again, I desired to be baptised and did so within weeks of my conversion. I was about 29 yo.

I see some things differently to you, but I am blessed to know we have one belief in common and that is: Holy Spirit! I also love the gift of Tongues, although I suspect I neglect to practice this as often as I believe would be beneficial for me. It is such a strengthening gift!

Regardless of which church you belong to, I know the He rewards those who seek Him with all their hearts... He rewards with His presence, and His Truth.

That is why I love you so. You are one who who seeks after Him.

Ps. I love the squirrel and feel very special that you put him up. I think I like him a little more than Mr Bunny LOL.

also, I didn't realise you are moderating comments... I reposted my comment Pt 2 because I thought I had lost it somehow. Can you delete the first one? I rewrote it and liked the 2nd one even more. Thank you precious Sister...

Mary said...

I am only moderating the comments on the older posts. I saw it was you and I posted both without noticing they are nearly the same.

When one gets past a few denominational aspects of religious practice I am sure that we are with one heart in the Lord.