Thursday, May 13, 2010

Cooking With Library Anne

Many people jumped on the steel cut oats bandwagon a couple of years ago.  I was one of those. In fact, I never got off that bandwagon.  I have steel cut oats almost every morning. I get up early and microwave my breakfast.  I developed a method of microwaving my steel cut oats, then we bought a new microwave and I had to reinvent how to do it.  Microwave speeds vary, so you would have to adjust this recipe to yours.



First, I put a quarter cup of steel cut oats in a container with about 3/4 cup of water and let it sit in the fridge over night.  This softens the oats and helps them to cook faster. (If I forget I just go ahead and cook them anyway and they are a little chewier.)



In the morning, for me that would be around 6am.  I put the oats and water mixture into a microwave safe bowl, place a small plate underneath in case my timing gets off.  I cook on high for a minute and a half.  Then I continue to cook for 11 seconds several times, as I think about it.  Usually it takes about a half hour for the water to absorb and the oats to cook.  (If you heat it too close together, it will boil over, hence the plate underneath.)



When I think it has finished, I add frozen cherries and microwave on high for 30 seconds. 


I remove it from the microwave and add a teaspoon of canola oil.  Then I add salt and pepper (yes, pepper, which is of course optional).  But the pepper makes it better. Then I add cinnamon.


Then a half teaspoon of vanilla. I shake some parsley flakes over the top.  Real snipped parsley would be better, but with all the rabbits in my yard, figure the odds that will ever happen.

That is my recipe for steel cut oats.  I am aware that it is weird, but don't knock it until you try it.   But, I feel sure you will anyway (knock it, not try it).  I am very proud of all the work it took to document this recipe since my eyes are hardly open when I am cooking it in the morning.   And if you come to stay in the basement of my house, or even on the main floor, I would serve you some steel cut oats if you asked.

4 comments:

abroadermark said...

Hmmmm...

Mary said...

Yum yum is what you are supposed to say or make some kind of crazy comment. I know I would if I didn't eat this every day.

abroadermark said...

Oops...I meant to say yum, YUM!! :D

Dawn Farias said...

I am very proud of all the work it took to document this recipe since my eyes are hardly open when I am cooking it in the morning.

Yes, that is indeed an effort. I appreciate it! Interesting, yummy, recipe!

I also cook oatmeal in the microwave (old-fashioned oats, though). It's perfect and makes for scorch-free oatmeal.