Saturday, May 8, 2010

Boring Posts for Saturday--The Blog

It is that time again, Boring Posts for Saturday. It started as a joke, but it became my strength.  Being boring on Saturday is what I do.  If you have one, leave a comment so that we can find yours.

Here's mine---

I was thinking about the blog (when do I not?) lately and I reflected that when I first stepped up to the plate (keyboard) and logged in I was like that inexperienced speaker at the mike.  Is this thing on?  Can you hear me?  I was self conscious on the one hand and scared on the other that anybody in the world could read what I wrote. 

But after a few months it became apparent that nobody to speak of was reading what I wrote anywhere in the world.  A few accidental hits, that was it.  In June 2008 almost six months after I began the blog I had 6 hits in the entire month. Six.  The entire month.  But, I wasn't discouraged.  I kind of enjoyed the space just to be me.  And it wasn't that I didn't try.  I commented on some of my favorite blogs like Pioneer Woman and Big Mama and Boo Mama.  I liked blogs that posted every day.  It was pretty safe to comment on those big time blogs because they didn't have the time of day for me.

I tried to work within my blogging principles--be nice, post a least once a day, be nice, and try to be nice.  I found that being nice was not always easy, but I haven't abandoned it.  It is still a principle I believe in, even if I haven't always been able to achieve it.  But the posting every day part became a snap once I could schedule posts.

I consider my blog to be my little magazine.  It has a variety of features, some of which everyone may not like.  I try to keep some humor in on some days, a bit of faith building, for myself, if no one else needs it, and just telling my story in a disjointed and haphazard way.  Somewhere in all this is the story of my life, past present and future.

I especially like that now I confidently step up to the keyboard and instinctively know, this is a Boring Post for Saturday.  No longer do I ask, "Can you hear me now?"  Because if I forget myself and just let it fly and a few of you will call me to task and laugh with (at?) me just to help me keep it real.

If you have a Boring Post, leave a comment and I will come around later. If you have thoughts about this post, let it fly.

4 comments:

abroadermark said...

I'm glad you're here, Mary! And I'm glad I'm here you laugh at...ummm...I mean, with you and help you keep it real.

I'm off to sing my sore throat solo now. Bah.

Tami said...

How do you do the scheduling thing? Not that I would be able to pull it off, but I can see how it would be helpful.
Whatever the case, I enjoy the way your blog has evolved.

DandelionMom said...

I do surely like stoppin by here myself...I laugh cause you are funny and yew know it girlfriend!

Dawn Farias said...

Well I'm glad you're here in bloggyland because I feel less alone with a constant-design-changing companion.