Thursday, April 8, 2010

Nature Corner--Spring Report in the Lou

Spring has been slow in coming this year.  We had a real winter in the Lou (St Louis).  We forgot that we are in the SOUTH.  But, spring makes up for it.  And here is spring in the Lou. Praise God.
See the green green grass. It has been cut once already.  It turns green and then takes off toward the sky.

The forsythia which looks like a new bush, but actually suffered a bad attack of iris borers and is recovering, is finally blooming.  Some years it blooms in February. This year it was March and April.
 
Let's take a closer look at those flowers because they will soon be gone.

The daffodils are quite lovely.  I need some all yellow ones.  I lost the ones I had when the trees were cut a few years ago.  I must remember to get some bulbs next fall.   Because daffodils are one flower that my friends Flopsy, Mopsy, and Peter Cottontail don't touch.
 
And what's more, I didn't find any eggs or chocolates hidden in my yard at Easter.  This must not be the Easter bunny.

3 comments:

Anne said...

I might have asked this before, but what is the Lou?

Mary said...

{She whispers,"St Louis,"} Nelly calls it the Lou and sometimes I call it San Luigi, but I almost never say St Louie, Louie, although I have seen the site of the fair. ((Judy Garland sang about it.))

I live in suburban St. Louis, the Show Me state. Sorry for the confusion.

Footprints Diary said...

Hi Mary,
It is autumn here, but already the nights are becoming colder, and I fear that winter is just around the corner.

It is lovely to be able to see that it is spring in your neck of the woods.

Your grass is soooo green, and I see a bunny - cute!

Have a wonderful weekend,
Love and blessings, Jillian ♥