Monday, April 19, 2010

Monday Memories


Some days you remember for the rest of your life.  This is one of those.  The pictures help, of course.  I am glad for the pictures.  This is the day we left the US to travel with the Navy to Okinawa, Japan.  Moose was eleven months old.  My dad and mom had just retired and here I was taking their very first grandbaby to the other side of the world.

On the trip to the airport we talked about the two lane road to St Louie and saw evidence of the plans to make it four lane someday.  There were new 'onion' water towers that had sprung up on the way to St Louie and we talked about those.  We talked about selling my little green Toyota. We hadn't been able to do that before we left.  And praise God, somebody called my parents right after they returned from the airport and bought that car before we landed in Japan.

This day was almost 30 years ago at the St Louis airport.  Little did I know then how significant the St Louis airtport would be in my life, but that was later.  These days I live and work within 10 miles of that airport and have for the last 20 years.

It was so hard to say good bye.  But we would be returning in 2 and a half years.  I thought it was just a little vacation away from the ordinary life I led. But, life changed in two and a half years.  My dad was gone, my grandparents had died.  My mom had decided to sell the farm and move to town and was in the process of that by the time we moved back to the States.  Everything changes, that's what I learned.

I am glad for the memories of this ordinary day.

No comments: