Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Tuesday Treasures--Mom's Quilt

On Tuesday I host this little carnival to share and to see the treasures we all have.  If you would like to join in, grab the logo and leave a comment.  We will come and visit your treasures.

This week I will share a treasure that I do not own.
This quilt was hand pieced by my great grandmother Cynthia.  She made it for my mom as a high school graduation gift.  She only did the pieced squares.  My grandma Ella set those pieces into a quilt top for my mom, but gave it to her to finish.  My mom has no real love of hand work and she was about to toss the whole thing some years ago.  That is when I took over.

I quilted it and finsihed the edges.  I didn't do anything fancy because it was the very first (and only) full sized quilt I ever worked on.  I do a lot of baby quilts, but never anything this big for hand quilting.  It took me two years to quilt it.  Then I returned it to my mother.  She washes it in the machine and has about ruined it several times, but when I say I will take it back and work on it again, she mends it and keeps it.  I think she knows that the next time I take that thing, I am not giving it back to her. 

When I worked on it I felt such a connection to my great grandma and grandma who loved to do hand work just like I do.  To my mom, it is a pretty piece and something that people exclaim over, but I don't think she is as sentimental about it as I am.  I will let her keep it for now.  Because she is 88, the odds are that I will out live her and get it back someday. But I am not anxious for that day to come.  She can keep it for now.  And some sad day it will be mine again.

9 comments:

Amanda said...

Mary, I love your Mom's quilt. It is beautiful... I am sure it has been very treasured by your Mom.

I have participated this week. Please pop over and see my Tuesday Treasures...

abroadermark said...

Oh, my goodness!! I've tried to comment on this post like 5 times, and every time something happens to keep me from doing it. This time it's Mamie the Human Whistle screaming in the backyard. Wait - the screaming has stopped. I guess she got her way. Either that or one of the boys has conked her over the head and left her unconscious. No, I don't think that's it, 'cause no one came it to tattle. And I KNOW

Hold on - I've gotta go wipe Clara now. Be right back.

Okay. As I was saying - if Mamie was unconscious, I KNOW someone would be sure to tattle. So I think she must have quit screaming because she got what she wanted. Nothing like being happy that your kid is just spoiled, huh?

Now for your treasure. I really do love the the quilt, and I love your story about it. When I was younger I didn't think much about my connection to the past (or the future, for that matter - 'though I suppose I thought more about the latter than the former), but, the older I get, the more I like the security of knowing that I'm just another link in the ol' family chain. And I like knowing about (and feeling connected to) the links that came before me. And I love knowing the links that I've contributed to the chain, and imagining the links that will come after us. Life is pretty cool, isn't it? And so is your Tuesday Treasure.

So, what did you find out about your foot, Cousin Mary?

Dawn Farias said...

I also have no real love for hand work.

I love the quilt!

Again, as an aside, I really really love the framed effect on your photos!!

Mary said...

The photo effect is just the camera.

They took a lot of x-rays of the foot and they will get back to me. A foot doctor is in my future.

Go see Dandelionmom's neat bird picture. She hasn't been able to comment.

Tami said...

I love the quilt, what a treasure that will be for future generations. To tell of the story of all the women in your family taking a turn in its creation.

As for the foot. . .sorry. Hopefully it will be an easy fix. At least you made it through the first appointment. ;)

ABM,
I hear you sister. Don't the children realize we have commitments here in bloggy world? Seriously. The nerve. I'm telling you, when I'm an old lady and need someone to whip my hiney, I'm waiting until they are in the middle of something good before I yell for help. :) (The sad thing is it was/is the boys in my life that are more challenging. Yet if I were a betting woman, I'd bet that poor Princess will be the care taker of her parents. She's so sweet. Maybe I should give her a raise in her allowance?)

Amanda said...

LOL at Tami's comment :D

Mary said...

A raise in the allowance is just the thing. Then she can always claim that mom loved her best. LOL

Footprints Diary said...

Hi Mary,
Your quilt is very beautiful - your Mum must be very happy to have such a memorable piece.

I have posted my Tuesday Treasure. :)

Have a wonderful Easter,
Blessings,
Jillian ♥

Mary said...

Jillian, thanks for playing along. I love your koala.