Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Hope Echoes--Prayer


Do you have a relationship with God?  What characterizes that relationship?  Do you talk at God all the time?  Do you ask Him things?  Ask Him for things?  Do you praise and honor Him?  Do you listen to Him?  Do you have conversations with Him?  Do you know He talks to you?

The Catechism tells us that part of our responsibility, our call, our life as Christians, as followers of Christ, is to have a vital and personal relationship with God.  This relationship is prayer.  Without prayer, our faith is almost nothing. 

The great thing about prayer is that there are so many ways to pray.  They are all good.  Our particular personalites and life experiences are responsible for our choices in prayer.  We relate to God in certain ways.  We get comfortable in these styles or practices.

I suggest and I practice trying different ways to pray.  I never heard of lectio divina until a couple of years ago and these days I love it.  I wasn't much of a rosary pray-er until about 20 years ago, but I have learned how to use it as a door to deeper prayer. I have discovered that going for a walk, a long walk can become the deepest form of prayer for me.  I try to pray all day long, not just at "prayer times."

If you are having trouble being prayerful, building that relationship with God that you long for, ask the Holy Spirit to help you.  The Catechism says, "He (Holy Spirit) is the artisan of the living tradition of prayer.  To be sure, there are as many paths of prayer as there are persons who pray, but it is the same Spirit acting in all and with all."

4 comments:

Anne said...

What a wonderful suggestion, to ask the Holy Spirit to help. I love lectio divina, writing as prayer, and spending time in adoration, but I have fluctuated back and forth my whole life between written prayer and words of my own. I think I do better with words that come from my own heart instead of using those of others.

Dawn Farias said...

I made a post. Is it suspended in moderation??

Dawn Farias said...

I don't know where my first comment went. What I basically said was Google everything and see what kind of natural remedies, if any, you can come up with.

If you've already done that, what did you find?

Mary said...

I find that I love to pray and I am inspired by some beautiful prayers. I also enjoy traditional prayers like the rosary, but I meditate and pray with the Lord through the Holy Spirit when I am doing my best prayer work. (Should I call it that?) Anyway, most productive, fruitful, joyfilled praying is with me and God and no written words except perhaps some scripture to start the flow and teach me.