Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Mom Sawyer

I have written about the vacuum that my mom bought so many years ago that needed replacing.  We got her a Hoover for Christmas.  It is green, light weight and bag less. Compared to the old sweeper with attachments here and buttons there and cords and tubes and the like, this new sweeper is easy peasy lemon squeezy.



When I talked to Mom the past few weeks on the phone on Sunday evening, she complained that she didn't know how to use the vacuum sweeper.  First it was the cord retracting. She couldn't figure it out.  Then it was the pile adjustment.  She said that it didn't work right. She wasn't sure this sweeper picked up the dirt well enough.

One of my purposes in going up to Quincy this past weekend to visit her was to teach her how to use the vacuum sweeper. It is frustrating to try to give directions from over 100 miles away.

On Saturday morning after breakfast I pulled the vacuum out and I showed her how to retract the cord.  She didn't seem very concerned.  She seemed to get the hang of it pretty quickly.  She said that perhaps I would just want to finish up the vacuuming while I had the sweeper out.  So, I did.

Quincy where my mom lives is a few miles up the river from Hannibal, MO of Tom Sawyer fame.  If you have read the tale and remember the fence white washing story, you will understand why I am relieved that at least she didn't charge me for the privilege of vacuuming for her.  Mom Sawyer, indeed.

1 comment:

mary333 said...

The "perhaps I would just want to finish up the vacuuming while I had the sweeper out" made me smile!