Friday, July 31, 2009

Quick Takes, Vol. 27

Here are the Quick Takes sponsored by Jen at the Conversion Diary.

1. On the long walk last evening as I crossed the bridge near the horse and kitten and rabbit farm I looked down into the stream. There was an animal swimming in the water. At first I thought it was a groundhog, but do they swim? As I stood and watched it, I saw the tail. It was a beaver. I have never seen a wild beaver, or I should say, I had never seen a wild beaver until last night. I only wish I had my camera with me.

2. Like most re-decoration projects, one thing has led to another and I am overwhelmed by choices and decisions. I do think I will go with black appliances if I do appliances and a darker floor than I had originally planned. It makes my stomach hurt that I could make a mistake and have to live with it.

3. At the last minute as I left Columbia, MO a week ago I decided to get a haircut. They had a branch of my usual stylists. But, after I walked in I ended up with a woman who looked to be at least 70 with very unusually streaked and colored hair and an odd cut for anyone, but especially someone of her age. I almost turned around and walked out, but was too chicken to do that. So, I let her cut my hair all the time telling myself that it was only hair and it would grow out again. But, surprise, surprise, I really liked the cut. It was exactly the way I wanted it. I have a real problem with getting stylists to do what I ask them too. If I can just drive 100 miles once a month I now know where to go to get the cut I want. As long as that 70 year old with the unusual haircut is still there.

4. Don't forget to plan your Boring Posts for Saturday. It is okay to autopost it. When I started this feature, when I was writing a post that I was sure only interested me, I just scheduled it for Saturday. These days I seem to have more hits on Saturday than any other day, so perhaps I need to have interesting posts for that day. If that were something I was capable of doing. Go with your strengths I keep telling myself.

5. This is my last weekday of freedom. On Monday it is back to work. Sigh. Anyone want to hire a librarian for your homeschool? I don't work cheap, but I am good at my job. OW can testify to my ability to put her to sleep talking about databases. (And BTW, where is OW these days? Being a MIL must be harder work than I imagined!) {Added: She has been off cavorting with the book of faces. When she tires of this new toy she may come back to us.}

6.

This is 'mi familia' at the reunion for the 4th of July. Moose, my son, is just over my shoulder and BigB, his daddy, is next to him. Then my mom is next. She always claims to be taller than I am and calls me 'short' all the time, but I ask you--Aren't we the same height these days? The next one is my brother JT and his daughter Essie and my other brother Ned and my sister's husband and "Mel" or "El" my sister.

7. Can you name the poem that this quote comes from? And the author? (Not me, I haven't found the high school poetry yet.)

"He only says, 'Good fences make good neighbors.'
Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder
If I could put a notion in his head:
'Why do they make good neighbors? Isn't it
Where there are cows? But here there are no cows.
Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offense.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That wants it down.' "
.
One of my favorite poets and one of my favorite poems.
Although I do admit a fondness for walls and fences and agree with the neighbor in the poem rather than the poet that good fences make, in fact, good neighbors.

2 comments:

Dawn Farias said...

Yes, I hate too many decisions.

Mary said...

The piece of the poem is from Mending Wall by Robert Frost.