Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Banana Bread



For well over 25 years this has been my favorite banana bread. There were years when I baked at least one of these babies a week. Once upon a time I even thought of baking this bread and selling it to restaurants in Orlando, FL. But the urge went away.
I don't usually do a recipe blog, but here is my favorite bread--banana, delicious. The original recipe came from a Gold Medal Alpha Bakery Children's Cookbook, but I have altered it some over the years.
Ingredients--
1/2 cup sugar (can use brown sugar or honey if you prefer. You can also put up to 1/4 cup more sweetener if you like it really sweet.)
3 mashed bananas, very ripe
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour, (or 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour or do half and half)
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup oatmeal, uncooked
1. Heat oven to 325.
2. Grease large loaf pan (9x5)
3. Mix wet ingredients with a wooden spoon, stir in dry ingredients, pour into pan.
4. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 60 to 70 minutes.
5. Let cool completely before slicing.
Ths banana bread travels well. If it turn out too dry, cook less next time, or reduce the flour. I find that it turns out great for me every time I do it. Sometimes I add nuts. Enjoy.

No comments: